Tuesday, October 25, 2011

positions and views

"How does your position in the world shape the way we think about identity, society, and culture?"


change we to you, and that's the question I'm answering. my favorite type of blog: an open ended question.


My position in the world is as follows: I am a 5 ft tall half Asian girl from the deep south. I also have this tendency to defy stereotypes(I'm the asian with a southern accent who can't do simple math, and the girl that's willing to try almost any videogame) 


Identity: The short half asian part of my identity was cemented into my mind from an early age.  Realizing just what being from the South meant to my identity didn't really come until high school. Because of these things, I view identity as a perpetually changing set of key characteristics that loosely define a person.  I take interest in people who are of non-American nationalities.  Identity is partially something given to you and partially something you choose for yourself.  


Society: A society is a group of people. Once again, there are some societies you are born into and cannot escape, and others that you voluntarily join.  You may be more involved in one society than another. 


Culture: Culture and Society are very similar.  Culture is the traditions of a society.  Cultures are inherited upon entering a society.  One may reject or adopt certain elements of a culture. 


My position in the world, as well as my own identity, have ultimately impacted my views on identity, society, and culture by making them far more flexible. I generally don't put much specific thought into these things; I accept them as key defining factors of human life and move on.




No comments:

Post a Comment